MACHINE TRANSLATION AT THE
PAN AMERICAN HEALTH ORGANIZATION
PAHOMTS® is a fully automatic Machine Translation (MT) program, developed and maintained by PAHO's computational linguists, translators, and programmers. The translation unit has used PAHOMTS® to process over 88 million words since 1980. Staff and freelance translators postedit the raw output to produce high-quality translations with a 30-50% gain in productivity. The first language pair, Spanish-English, became operational in 1980 and its English-Spanish counterpart was added in 1985. They were followed by English-Portuguese and Portuguese-English (July 2003), Spanish-Portuguese (March 2004) and, finally, Portuguese-Spanish, which became available in June 2005. The latest version of PAHOMTS® (version 4.11) was released in December 2014.
The translation program runs on Windows XP, Windows VistaTM, Windows 7, and Windows 8. The software includes a completely trilingual graphical user interface. The extensive context-sensitive online Help in English, Spanish, and Portuguese simplifies the process of browsing and updating the PAHOMTS® dictionaries. Each of the MT dictionaries contains over 150,000 words, phrases, and context-sensitive rules. Both the programs and the dictionaries are constantly being enhanced based on feedback from the users of the systems.
- Fully graphic Translation interface that may be invoked from the desktop, from a Microsoft® Word toolbar or from a Microsoft® PowerPoint® toolbar;
- Fully graphic Dictionary Update utility, with context-sensitive help and other user-friendly features. (See sample entry , context-sensitive rule, and procedure to add a new entry);
- Batch Translation utility allowing the translation of several input files in one single step;
- Dictionary Browse utility, with copy-paste capabilities;
- All screens and Help items available in English, Spanish, or Portuguese, selectable at runtime;
- Dictionary Merge utility to merge the user's customized dictionaries into PAHO's master dictionaries;
- An import capability to facilitate the incorporation of user glossaries;
- An export utility to create lists of terms added or modified by the user;
- ActiveX® macros to translate selected text within Microsoft® Word or PowerPoint®.
At PAHO, MT has proven to be especially effective for conference documents, scientific papers, training materials, technical abstracts, and Web pages. At sites that have access to large volumes of text in electronic format, rough translations can be obtained quickly and economically using MT. The output preserves the format of the original document, including tables, and is easy to polish using PAHO's postediting macros.
The software is copyrighted by the Pan American Health Organization and protected with a hardware security device. It can be licensed by non-profit institutions through a signed license agreement (in pdf - 25KB). The one-time license fee includes one to six directions, dictionaries, and on-line manuals. Training in dictionary updating, technical support, and upgrades are available.
You'll need the following hardware and software to run PAHOMTS®:
- Microsoft® Windows VistaTM, Windows 7, or Windows 8.
For the LAN version: Microsoft® Windows Server 2003, Windows 2008, Windows 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, or on any network that is supported by Windows.
- Intel Pentium®-compatible 1 GHz or faster processor
- 512 MB of RAM
- Video (800 x 600 or higher resolution) monitor with at least 256 colors (1024 x 768 High Color 16-bit recommended)
- 120 MB of hard disk space available for the first language direction, 51 MB extra per additional language direction
- Mouse or compatible pointing device
- A free parallel port or USB port for the Hardlock security device
- CD-ROM drive or Internet connection (only required for installation)
SUPPORTED DOCUMENT FORMATS
- RTF (for Microsoft® Word 2000+)
- MHT (for Microsoft® PowerPoint® 2002+ and Excel 2007+)
Please send an e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org
|SOFTWARE PRICES (in US$)|
|One||2,000||4,000||5,000||+300 per user||6,000|
|Two||3,000||5,000||6,000||+400 per user||7,000|
|Three||4,000||6,000||7,000||+500 per user||8,000|
|Four||5,000||7,000||8,000||+600 per user||9,000|
|Five||6,000||8,000||9,000||+700 per user||10,000|
|Six||7,000||9,000||10,000||+800 per user||11,000|
Prices subject to change.
Add-on License for new Language pairs - only the difference in price is due.
30% discount when purchasing a second License.
* English-Spanish, Spanish-English, English-Portuguese, Portuguese-English, Spanish-Portuguese, and Portuguese-Spanish.
|ANNUAL SUPPORT AGREEMENT (in US$) Includes upgrades|
Annual Support Agreement (in pdf - 14KB) covers technical support and software upgrades.
Dictionary updating support provided only after 5-day training course.
|Exclusive at place of business||Shared training at PAHO-HQ
|5 days||3 days||additional day||5 days||3 days|
Air tickets + Per diem should be provided for instructor if training is outside Washington, D.C.
|First 30 days||Online FAQ|
|First pair||Each additional pair|