(in Spanish, PDF)
- Agenda (2 pp)
- List of Participants (1 p)
- Working Group Proposal (23 pp, 612 Kb)
- CARMEN Network
- Chronic Disease Activities at PAHO
- Newsletter: Prevention & Control of Chronic Diseases in the Americas
- Chronic Diseases
- Country Information Global Database
- Integrated Chronic Disease Prevention and Control
Situation of Chronic Noncommunicable Diseases in the MERCOSUR Member and Associated States: The MERCOSUR Member and Associated States are passing through a demographic and epidemiological transition were the processes of globalization and urbanization are accompanied by more homogeneous behaviors as well as freer access to tobacco, alcohol, and fast food. Technological changes have brought about the presence of sedentary work and urbanization that does not facilitate physical activity in people's free time.
About the Meeting and the Proposal
General Objective of the Meeting: Contribute to final improvements in the proposal on the creation of capacities to evaluate and use available information for decision-making in relation to the prevention and control of chronic noncommunicable diseases (CNCDs) and their risk factors (RFs) in MERCOSUR Member and Associated States.
Specific Objectives of the Meeting
- Identify key aspects to take into account when articulating evidence for decision-making n relation to the prevention and control of chronic noncommunicable diseases (CNCDs) and their risk factors (RFs).
- Identify available information resources and their use when evaluating and obtaining evidence for interventions in relation to the prevention and control of CNCDs and their RFs.
- Propose a resolution on forming a technical working subgroup on surveillance of CNCDs and their RFs at the MERCOSUR level.
Goal of the Proposal: Reduce the burden of chronic diseases as a result of changes in health policy, programs, and services based on timely noncommunicable disease (NCD) surveillance in MERCOSUR Member and Associated States.
General Objective of the Proposal: Strengthen the surveillance system for CNCDs in the MERCOSUR Member and Associated States to offer relevant information for the formulation and evaluation of effective public policies.
Specific Objectives of the Proposal
- Help define priority areas for public health intervention.
- Provide information on health problems with the greatest burden for the countries of the subregion.
- Identify the most vulnerable groups according to geographic area, socioeconomic level, age group, etc.
- Develop recommendations for formulating effective health policies and programs.
Develop recommendations for improving the national and subregional surveillance system.
- Identify and share effective policies and intervention for reducing the burden of CNCDs and inequities in the MERCOSUR countries.
- Evaluate the applicability of programs or interventions for MERCOSUR.
- Provide support for the design of programs or interventions that can be adapted to the reality of each country.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the policies or programs implemented.
- Form a MERCOSUR network for noncommunicable disease surveillance.
- Design a model to serve as a framework for NCD surveillance.
- Establish a technical collaboration and knowledge exchange program.
- Develop a list of the necessary professional competencies and a technical training plan in NCD surveillance and the analysis of health inequalities.
Expected Results of the Proposal
- Group of consensual CNCD and RF indicators for the subregion, defined, developed, and presented to promote their use (Specific Objective 1).
- Workplan developed in a participatory manner to produce and integrate indicators into bulletins, to follow up on progress made in MERCOSUR the area of health to provide information for defining priority areas (Specific Objective 2).
- Subregional network for NCD surveillance and key statistics producers, health epidemiology and programs from the public, civic, and academic sector, sensitized and committed to approaching the implications of inequalities in topics related to CNCDs and RFs (Specific Objective 3).
- Recommendations for Member and Associated States on procedures to follow to assure organization, harmonization, and presentation of information at the MERCOSUR level (Specific Objective 4).